This is precisely for those who love to add cheese in almost every kind of food that they use to take quite regularly. I’m sure you must be one of them unless this article cannot draw your precious attention. Cheese is not a kind of foodstuff that carries just a single taste and flavor. Although it is prepared by milk but due to having different ingredients or different processes of making you may find cheese with varieties. One such variety of cheese is Mozzarella- a kind of cheese with its unique taste and flavor. No matter if it is a pizza, sandwich, or salad, this soft and delicious cheese is capable to add a zing.
If you want to add cheese to your pizza or sandwich, then you don’t need a chunk or block but you need a slice, shredded or grated version of cheese. If you have cheddar, then you don’t have to face any problem while grating it. But as for the mozzarella, for being softer one it is not quite easy to grate the whole section quite easily as it tends to break away in the middle of the process. Therefore, you need to follow the ways to handle this job.
How to Grate Mozzarella Cheese
As I told you earlier, grating mozzarella cheese is not an easy job as it is a softer one and not quite easy to hold and shred properly. As a result, you end up wasting a lot of cheese. No, I’m not saying that it is not possible, but you have to know the way to handle this kind of cheese.
There are two things that you may use to grate a kind of softer cheese like mozzarella. One is a food processor, and the other is a grater. Let’s see how they work to make your job possible and that also quite neatly.
Grating Mozzarella Using A Food Processor
A food processor is a kind of multifunctional device that you can use in various ways- from mixing to grinding anything you need. As it is equipped with multiple attachments so that you can do almost anything you want. As for the grating concern, it is a matter of fixing an attachment and this machine can provide you perfectly grated mozzarella cheese as per your requirement. Now it is time to follow the steps in order.
- Before starting the process you have to wrap the chunk or the slab of the cheese in a plastic bag or in a foil and then it is kept in a freezer for at least 15-20 minutes to make it harder. This will make the cheese easier to grate.
- After that, you have to apply little olive oil or vegetable oil to the blades of the processor. This doesn’t allow cheese from sticking to the blades and also helps to clean the container later easily.
- Now take a sharp kitchen knife and then start cutting the chunk of cheese into thinly shredded pieces onto a plate. You may cut them into cubes these also give you a similar result. But while cutting you have to be careful unless you may end cutting your finger.
- Now it is time for the food processor to get into action. Place the sliced or cubed cheese pieces into the container. Avoid overloading the container to get the better-grated pieces.
- Turn on the machine and keep monitoring the shape of the cheese. Once you get the desired finish, just turn off the machine and pour the grated cheese onto a plate for further use of your choice.
Grating Mozzarella Using A Grater
A grater is a manual device with different types. You don’t require power to make it work only need to keep it in a proper position while working. Let’s go and see how you can use a grater for mozzarella cheese chunk.
A long flat grate with many small sharp teeth and a round handle for easy grip- all these you can see in this type of grater only to make it perfect for grating cheese chunks. Though it works better for harder ones it also can grate a frozen mozzarella equally well. All you need to hold the device over a plate and gently swipe the cheese chunk against the teeth in an up-down motion. In this way, the grated cheese will be seen stored on the plate.
This is a unique kind of grater with sharp teeth on all four sides of different sizes. Especially, the bigger sized-teeth are mainly used for grating softer cheese like mozzarella. As there is no handle here, you have to take the chunk medium to large size so that you can hold it properly and it saves your finger from being scrapped while grating. Moreover, you should apply some cooking oil over the grate to help the cheese glide easily.
This is also its own kind of grater mostly different from other two. It is a round container type of device with sharp teeth all over. You may find a round handle on one side of it and also has a side crank that rotates to grate the cheese. All you need to place a small block of cheese inside the compartment and place the grater over a plate or a bowl. Now, turn the handle gradually forward and backward motion for some while only to see the grated pieces of cheese are coming out of the chamber and store into the plate or the bowl. Comparing to the other two graters this one is the best for producing a large quantity of grated cheese for a larger arrangement.
It is great to have grated mozzarella cheese with your pizza, sandwich, or any other dish. But to get the kind of shape you have to make a special arrangement and then you’ll have the desired shape and size of cheese to relish the dish. Have a nice time!!!