Research on healthy recipes and diet could be your interest if you are on a healthy eating mission. Have you considered cauliflower rice? It has numerous health benefits. Maybe your primary concern is how to make it. If you have a food processor, the process is quick. If you don’t have one, relax. There are several other things you can use to make your cauliflower rice. Read to the end to get winning tips.
Making Cauliflower Using a Food Processor
Owning a food processor is beneficial. Apart from its speed and versatility, it helps you make healthy meals. If you want to process cauliflower, in at least 10 minutes, you will be through. Check the steps below on how to make cauliflower rice with a food processor.
- Remove any brown spots.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and discard them.
- Slice the cauliflower into small florets of less than two inches.
- Add the florets into your food processor and ensure that they are ¾ full.
- If you intend to process more cauliflower, work in batches.
- Pulse the florets and don’t stop until they become small granules that look like rice.
- Since large florets move to the side of the bowl when processing, scrape the side to push the entire contents to the blades.
- Check the food processor is there is any large floret that has passed without getting processed.
- Remove the large florets and put the processed cauliflower rice in a bowl.
- Add back the unprocessed florets and pulse until they become small.
If you are budget constrained and you don’t have a food processor, what should you do? There are other methods available for you. Check below on how to make cauliflower rice without a food processor.
Using a Blender
A blender is faster to use, and many love it because of its consistency. So how should you blend your cauliflower? Note that you can’t blend your cauliflower before removing its steam and leaves. Upon discarding them, follow the steps below.
- Slice your cauliflower into small florets.
- Put the pieces in the blender and add some water up to the max fill line.
- Work in batches if you intend to blend a lot of cauliflower rice. Avoid overloading your blender.
- Pulse until your florets become small granules that look like rice.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer to drain the water from your cauliflower rice.
Using small batches will help you correct any mistake you made in the first batch. For instance, if you use a low setting on your high-powered blender, you are likely to make a soup. If you realize that mistake with the first batch, you can adjust and use short pulses instead. Though you might have to use an extra container when sieving, cleaning it will also be quick. Unfortunately, the rice hardens after adding water because of the excess moisture, making it tricky to squeeze it later.
Using a Box Grater
If you don’t have a food processor or a blender, relax. You can still achieve your plans by using a box grater that has medium-sized holes. You can also use a Microplane grater. Grating a large piece is easier than a smaller one.
- Slice large florets.
- While holding each floret by the step, push it across the box grater.
- Continue grating them until you finish.
Suppose you don’t have the three items above, is there any other methods? Fortunately, there is. If you have a chef’s knife, you will still achieve your objective though it will take more time than the three methods above. Its main benefits are that you will require minimal tools.
- Separate the florets from the stem.
- Shred the florets into small pieces that resemble rice grain in size and shape.
Some people like eating raw cauliflower rice. Once they make it using any of the methods above, they put it on the bowl and eat it. You don’t have to eat it when raw. You can cook it.
Cooking of Cauliflower Rice
After preparing your cauliflower rice, you can steam it, bake or fry it.
Steaming Cauliflower Rice
- Put two tablespoons of water in a skillet and heat it using medium-high heat.
- Once the water gets hot, add the cauliflower rice.
- Let it steam until the cauliflower rice becomes soft and tender.
- Before removing, ensure that the water has dried off.
- Serve and enjoy your cauliflower rice.
Baking The Cauliflower Rice
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place your cauliflower rice on a baking sheet and spread it evenly. If the cauliflower rice is overcrowded, you can use more spreadsheets.
- After 15 minutes, use a spatula to flip it to the other side.
- Remove it once it’s ready.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive/coconut oil.
- Add the cauliflower rice.
- Add some pepper and salt.
- Let it cook until it softens and turns golden brown.
- Remove it and serve.
Cauliflower rice is an excellent substitute for plain rice if you want to eat healthily. It may not taste like normal rice though it has numerous health benefits. You can make it using a food processor, blender, a box grater, or even a knife. Using a food processor and a blender is easy due to consistency and speed. Box grater is messy and tiresome. Once you have the cauliflower rice, you can decide to steam it, bake or even fry it.